WRITE A TIME WHEN YOUR WORK FELT REAL AND SATISFYING TO YOU…. JANITOR

Before I entered the novitiate in 1998, we were sent for a work experience for three months. I was asked to work in the hospital. We were three actually who were sent in the hospital, but I will only share here my personal experience. We rented a room, and we used also our salary for the rent, provisions, transport and other necessary expenditures. I worked as a janitor in one of the biggest hospitals in Manila, but it was a secret. I was assigned on the the third floor, cleaning the wards, polishing the floor and also at the Intensive Care Unit. I will share first the funny side of my experience. Our uniform was white and gray pants. Since I had a fair skin, people in the hospital called me many times “doctor” by mistake. Many times, students and patients too, thought I was a doctor, and I just laughed. Sometimes, I had to show them the mop and tell them, “I am a janitor here.” They would laugh. My fellow janitors didn’t believe also that I am a janitor. One of them, asked me many times. “Why are you a janitor. You look very executive, and the way you speak you sound intelligent. Why don’t you apply for a good work?” I told him that I am from the province, and that I finished only high school. I need to find work in Manila to survive. But he did not believe me, instead, he followed me secretly while I was taking jeepney going back to the boarding house. The following day, while we were eating lunch in an abandoned comfort room, he told me, “You are not a janitor, I followed you yesterday. You live in a big apartment!” hahahahaha I laughed, and I was forced to tell him my mission. One time, I was cleaning at the hallway, the Director of the hospital came. She called me very politely and said: “Please include the staircases and the bars.” I said “yes ma’am” then she left. I admire her of all the people there, aside that she was so kind, she would greet and smile. I was moved to the Intensive Care Unit. First, the chief nurse asked me to roll the big cylinders of oxygen. I cannot describe here how I struggled. She was just observing me. Then she called secretly the head of the maintenance department and ask him about me. The head of the Maintenance Department was the only one who knew of my status. I think he was forced to tell to the Chief Nurse, but she kept it completely too. I went on with my work, cleaning the floor with spills of blood sometimes, or drained the bags of puss in the toilet. I saw many sickly people there, some were dying, in terrible and painful conditions. I don’t like hospitals in general, but I started to love my life. Sometimes, during free hours, I had chance to chat with some of them, or the watchers. Others are generous, they gave me some food or little gifts. Some asked for prayers and some were really in distressed conditions, yet they liked to speak to me. Every Tuesday, there was a mass, so I had to clean the chapel and the hallway, then arranged the chairs and people would come for prayers. The chaplain (priest) was Indian at that time, and I was just cleaning silently, while he was there, not talking to me, and he did not have any idea who I was. Cleaning the floor was always a struggle for me at the beginning. The machines were so huge and they jumped every time I polish. The other janitors just laughed at me for fun. At times, I was on early morning shift, and at time, late in the afternoon to evening shift. It was a hard work, but I learn to appreciate more and more our casual workers, laborers, janitors and others. They put their heart in that humble work. They all became my good friends. In short, I managed to finished my work exposure. Three months ended very quickly. Few days before the end of my contract, I approached the priest first, then I told him that I would like to offer special intention for the mass, then I told him everything. He was shocked to hear that. He could not believe it really, and told me, “That is why you look different from other janitors. You appearance is different and you looked serious.” Then we both laughed. Then I went to the Director and told her also that I am finishing my contract. She asked me what is the reason, and she was completely shocked when I told her my story. “Every time I see you at the hallway cleaning, I always looked at you, you work silently. Oh my God, I feel embarrassed even asking you to do this and that.” Then she thanked me a lot and gave me a gift. Then she scheduled for a lunch with all the staff, some doctors and nurses, for me and my other companions. People were shocked, “who are these people that the director is giving a lunch?” One of the heads in our department, knew about my life. He became really a very good friend to me. Then one year after, he left his position and applied to become a Comboni Missionary. He was a bit older, so he was referred to another congregation. He applied to the Society of the Holy Family. He was interviewed by the founder, who happened to be my uncle, Msgr. Artemio Baluma. He was asked why he wants to be a priest. Then he started sharing about a janitor in the hospital, and how he was impressed etc. His name is Raul Tabaranza. My uncle told him that I am his nephew. What a small world really. The name of this man is Ranul Austria. In short, Ranul was accepted, given a chance to join the seminary at his age. My uncle shared to me about him, a very good and dedicated man. Unfortunately, while Ranul was at home, he got sick, became really sickly and he passed away. On the other side of the story, we went back to the seminary and we called those who were involved in our exposure to come for a special dinner. Then each were given a chance to talk. The chief nurse shared: "I came to know more about Raul when I asked him to roll the oxygens, and he did not know how to do it. So I had to inquire. But I did not tell him anything of what I knew. He continued his work, very happy and friendly. He is very much loved by the patients, even with good rapport with other janitors……” Other janitors shared their experiences too. I thank God for that humbling experience. He really put me on the ground, with real people, humble people who worked hard for their family in the provinces. We should not underestimate our manual workers, laborers, cleaners and others. Up to now, I cherish that experience. God has shown me another reality, humbling but spiritually gratifying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Mother

PAINFUL JOURNEY OF A JOYFUL SOUL- LETTER TO MY PRIEST BROTHER FR. ATILANO TABARANZA

RAUL, WHERE ARE YOU?