WHEN DID YOU MISS AN OPPORTUNITY YOU WISH YOU HAD TAKEN? WHY DID YOU TURN IT DOWN AT THAT TIME?

WHEN DID YOU MISS AN OPPORTUNITY YOU WISH YOU HAD TAKEN? WHY DID YOU TURN IT DOWN AT THAT TIME?
When I was in the university, around 1987-88, I was nineteen years old then, I submitted a picture of mine to an agency through a friend in Manila, applying to become a commercial model. It was purely for fun and good luck, but I was also excited about it. I received a reply and I was asked to go to Manila to try, and I would start as a commercial model for toothpaste. They said they loved my smile. I was so happy for that. I come from a middle class family and I don’t have the resources for my stay there. My classmates offered to help me for the transport- boat fare. But I was so scared, what will happen to me in Manila? Where shall I stay? What will I eat? How will I survive? If there is no shooting, what will I do? And many other questions. I was not so brave enough to risk everything. I could have been a potential actor, who knows. But it was not the plan of God for me. My dream was very materialistic, and luckily, I did not succumb into the temptation of fame, honor and material wealth. I was not that vain really when I was young. I was so simple, and I was already happy with little things. I never knew, that years after, I would become a missionary priest. I have more chances and opportunities, travel the world, visit people, making friends from all walks of life, live in an international community, live with people in complete poverty, at times deprived of comfort and basic needs, and yet, I live happily. Real happiness cannot be measured by what you have achieved or how much do you have in your hands. It is in letting go that you find your own joy and freedom. God dreamt for me, and when He proposed to me His dreams, I collaborated even at the expense of my personal dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Mother

PAINFUL JOURNEY OF A JOYFUL SOUL- LETTER TO MY PRIEST BROTHER FR. ATILANO TABARANZA

RAUL, WHERE ARE YOU?