HUMILITY

FR. RAUL TABARANZA
COMBONI MISSIONARIES
PO BOX 108
MFUWE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
ZAMBIA
February 25, 2010


HUMILITY
We had our adoration to the Blessed Sacrament. As I was exposing the Holy Eucharist, there was one thought that was always ringing in my ears- humility. Then I sat down and opened my breviary and found this line: “Humble yourself before the Lord and He will exalt you.”
In my silence, this line became my mantra, I kept on repeating it slowly and slowly, until I felt I was fully engaged in my silence, and what remained in my mind was HUMILITY. I realized that I am still being far of being humble; I still struggle with my pride and disposition. I still have that character and temperament.
Two weeks ago, we had our Provincial Assembly in Malawi. The Provincial Superior joked at us: “The community of Chikowa is very peaceful and there is no problem with regards to Superior and Parish Priest because the Superior is very humble.” Then they all laughed, and I blushed! Indeed, being the superior, I am learning how to exercise my humility. But as I have said many times, being the superior also is not giving me a crown of glory, but at times, thorn and emotional bleeding. I am taking the role out of obedience and I am trying my best to live it to the fullest, joyfully and meaningfully. I always believe that the voice of my Provincial superior is also the voice of God. I have learned this in the Novitiate, and obedience is always giving me serenity and peace.
I engaged more in my silence through mental prayer and imagination. Jesus was harsh sometimes to people, he was direct in His answers, and yet, He exercised 100% love and affection, healing and forgiveness to His persecutors and humility to accept the will of the Father. I tried to picture these things out, and I find it really difficult to do!
There are two great things that I always pray since my postulancy- obedience and humility because in these two things, I am always tested. I react at times out of anger or when provoked, and I just explode like a volcano. Very seldom to happen! Don’t be afraid, I am not like of a roaring lion. There were many times in my life, because of obedience and humility, spiritual charity just overflowed in me, very natural, so with peace, like a river of joy. Though I am fully tested, I am so grateful to the Lord for this. I guess these two values will remain my constant refrain in my prayer life until I get old and when my lips will speak no more.
I still have a task to accomplish to fulfill this prayer, and I am asking God’s help and affection. I am an emotional person, and pains, hurts and sorrows are sometimes difficult to forget. This is also my daily offering.
I pray for you the same, obedience, humility and the ability to forgive and forget.
May the Good Lord keep us united in love and prayer. We stay in Spiritual Charity and inner peace in Jesus’ name.
Raul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Mother

PAINFUL JOURNEY OF A JOYFUL SOUL- LETTER TO MY PRIEST BROTHER FR. ATILANO TABARANZA

RAUL, WHERE ARE YOU?