THE LORD CARES IN A SPECIAL WAY FOR THE PARENTS OF A PRIEST

These are the words of the father of Bro. Jean-Pierre Schumacker, from the book "The Last Monk of Tibbirine". Actually, he is a priest, but because of their monastic tradition, they all call each other Brother. Jean-Pierre is the last survivor of the monks of Tibbirine. He lived alongside the seven Trappist Monks, who were killed during the Algerian Civil War. They were men who witnessed to the grace and peace of Jesus. "The Lord cares in a special way for the parents of a priest”, is a very powerful line for me. Jean-Pierre had witnessed the death of His own father, and before he closed his eyes for the last time, he uttered these wonderful words. Unfortunately, I did not witness the death of my mother, as I was studying Theology in England. I would have heard her last words also, and I just imagine what she would have said to me. When I joined the seminary, I told her (while she was lying bedridden and invalid) that "You will do the contemplation here in your room, as I will do the action in the mission.” I don’t know if she had understood what I meant, but I was very sure during those days of pain, she thought and prayed for me a lot. That was our last encounter. I trusted the Lord so much, because when she had her last stroke, and dad had an accident, I told my formator, “The Lord will take good care of my parents. I will go on in the formation.” They were my heavy luggage in the seminary, but I offered them daily too. True enough, I stood firm in spiritual life because I believe that “The Lord cares in a special way for the parents of a priest.” They sacrificed a lot for me and for our eldest priest brother, but they are rewarded with consoling hearts. It must have been a great pain in the beginning, to see two of your sons leaving the family for priesthood, especially for me, as a missionary in Africa. But what a special privilege it is for my parents, for the generosity of their hearts, they have given up their rights and offered us to the Lord. I want to own this line of Jean-Pierre’s father, “The Lord cares in a special way for the parents of a priest.” Looking from the outside, I would say, "Mr. & Mrs. Cecilio Tabaranza, you are so much previliged because you offered precious stones". God will always bless you my dear parents. #lastmonkoftibhirine #freddyderwahl #jeanpeirreschumacher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Mother

PAINFUL JOURNEY OF A JOYFUL SOUL- LETTER TO MY PRIEST BROTHER FR. ATILANO TABARANZA

RAUL, WHERE ARE YOU?