I TOUCHED JESUS

I TOUCHED JESUS

I reflected of this thought in front of the Blessed Sacrament when suddenly memories flashed in my mind. Touching Jesus is almost like impossible, but my memories were telling me that actually, I have touched Jesus in a very special way.

I was sent for an exposure in the Leprosarium with very little idea about leprosy, except that it is contagious, and that they are abandoned because of this. I was completely ignorant! But then inside, I came to know that it is curable with proper medication and hygiene.

One time, we had our prayer together and as a sign of communion, I told them that we have to hold hands in praying the Lord’s Prayer. I felt the roughness of their hands, their fingers were completely eaten by the virus and many had unhealed wounds yet. At first, I was afraid and hesitant, but I was strengthened by my gestures, so I grasped more of their remaining fingers and broken palms tightly. After the prayer, they hugged me tightly fro my warmth, saying that many of them are abandoned even by their own families. I was completely wrapped with pity. I stayed with them for three months.

Jesus is a leper, and I touched Him, and I allowed Him to hug and kiss me. He removed my inhibitions but instead, strengthened me.

One day, I was called to anoint a dying lady and to give also the Eucharist. I asked if she wants to confess; she nodded but she could not talk. I performed the prayers and blessings, and then I laid my hands on her forehead. The woman was so cold, shivering in coldness though it was hot season, and struggling to breathe. Every single breath was so precious for her. She was HIV-AIDS positive. She looked like a skeleton with only two big eyes moving, reading to fall down anytime. She was like a skull, no more muscles.

I was certain that she would die. In fact, she died on the same day, in the evening. She was prepared. Jesus is HIV-AIDS positive. I touched Him and allowed Him to hold my hands.

We were on our missionary expedition. My companion got severe malaria attack. He was shivering, lips quivered; arms, legs and shouldering were shivering tremendously. He was feeling so cold and with so high temperature. I just hugged him because of my compassion and solidarity. I comforted him with all my affection.

Jesus is also malaria positive. He is infected, longing for affection and comfort. He was crying for care. I didn’t only touch Jesus, I hugged Him tightly.

I worked with the mentally and physically disabled people; so with old men and women in the nursing homes, incapable in doing their personal things. I washed them, bathed them, powdered them, creamed washed them, entertained them, fed them, put them to bed, changed their diapers etc.

Jesus is in the hearts of these people. I touched Him, hugged Him, bathed Him, fed Him and comforted Him with all my affection.

There are many more instances in my life that I realized I was actually touching Jesus. It is me, given these privileges of touching the Lord. He initiated His intimacy with me, but revealed Himself to me in many physical manners, so that I may love Him and reach Him through people. What an honor! What a responsibility to give back dignity of broken individuals, people who are not able to show their own expressions of love at times because of physical defects.

Jesus will touch us, but He wants us to touch Him too!

RAUL TABARANZA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Mother

PAINFUL JOURNEY OF A JOYFUL SOUL- LETTER TO MY PRIEST BROTHER FR. ATILANO TABARANZA

RAUL, WHERE ARE YOU?